If the public is "to participate more [in government] than just via the ballot box, then they need proper access to information"

-- Joanne Caddy, (Nov 2001), "Why citizens are central to good governance", OECD Observer

Monday, October 6, 2008

Belinda States-Bezanson - Halifax Regional School Board - School District 2

From:
Belinda States

To:
Darce Fardy

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 8:36 AM

Subject: Re: Right to Know

Hello Darce


Sorry for the delay I was out of town


I Belinda States-Bezanson am running for District 2, Halifax Regional School Board, Elected Board Member. If elected the following are my values and criteria that I will use to help guide me when a decisions need to be made:



I am very keen on government openness, and as a citizen I strive towards it.


I believe the school board should be transparent so that all decisions are made with all students in mind and accountable to voters. I value diversity and I feel that diversity should be valued across the board. We live in a multicultural society and the board should look more like the communities we serve and value the importance of culture in our schools. Transparency prevents special interests from monopolizing resources. As a Board member I would requires all position to come to the board for approval


I want to raise the level of integrity of the Halifax Regional School board starting with the elected board. Instead of back room dealings, decisions should be made in the best interest of all students.


As a board member I will stand for the quality of education and equal access to education. We need to insure that no student is left behind. We need programs and policies in place to prevent dropouts and have all feel welcome in our school system. I believe that there are enough resources within our current school system to have our literacy rate higher than it currently is.


I also feel that no matter what District you're voted in for, you should do what right for all districts. The board will have to work together to make the right decisions for all schools. We cannot allow personalities or personal agendas to get in the way. It should always be remembered that it is students first. I will advocate for my district but will do what is right for all students no matter what district they are from.


I feel that board member should make sure that the interest of students should come first. The money the board spends on legal fee and defending themselves in Human Rights complaints can be monies spend on putting paper in the schools for the students


The money spent to send 13 principles and the supernatant to China is money that should have been spent on EPA's for our special need student.


These are just a few examples of money being spent with out our students in mind. We have to always remind ourselves about the Boards Motto " Student First "


I believe that no student should be left behind…


Belinda States

mailto:belinda135@hotmail.com



No comments: