If the public is "to participate more [in government] than just via the ballot box, then they need proper access to information"

-- Joanne Caddy, (Nov 2001), "Why citizens are central to good governance", OECD Observer

Monday, September 22, 2008

Bruce Cooke - Halifax Regional School Board - School District 6

From:
The Cookes

To:
'Darce Fardy'

Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:20 PM

Subject: RE: Right to Know

Dear Darce,


My name is Bruce Cooke; I am a candidate for the Halifax Regional School Board in District 6. Thank you for your e-mail. I was not aware of your organization "The Right to Know Nova Scotia Coalition".


I guess you in essence want to know if I support the principals contained in the Freedom of Information Act, the answer to that question is yes I do fully support access to government information at a charge that does not prohibit in any way obtaining the information requested.


I must say that I personally do not believe that secrecy in government is one of the major reasons for low voter turn out on Election Day. It is just my opinion but I think that it has more to do with the fact people have forgotten that hundreds of thousands of Canadian's fought and many died for our privilege to cast a vote in an election and choose our own government. I chalk the low voter turn out to voter apathy and sheer laziness.


Regards,


Bruce Cooke

the.cookes@ns.sympatico.ca

http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/content/id/1069.html


No comments: