If the public is "to participate more [in government] than just via the ballot box, then they need proper access to information"

-- Joanne Caddy, (Nov 2001), "Why citizens are central to good governance", OECD Observer

Monday, September 22, 2008

Rob Clark - Halifax Regional School Board - School District 7

From:
Rob Clark

To:
Darce Fardy

Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:41 PM

Subject: Re: Right to Know


I too am very keen on government openness, and as a citizen I strive toward it. I have sent a few emails at the behest of the Electronic Freedom Foundation over the years to federal ministers, for example. The latest, for example, was a protest of the proposed Canadian Copyright Act, to Minister Jim Prentice.


Thus, I fully support your mission. I do understand, however, that there may be occasion where secrecy is expected - staffing issues, etc. In addition, there may be bylaws of the board that force inappropriate secrecy - I pledge to do my best to rationalize those bylaws. Additionally, I'm not fully informed yet, but as a strong believer in accountability and transparency, I will strive to 'adjust the tone' to the appropriate level.


I also appreciate that lack of public engagement is linked to levels of secrecy. Only an informed public can truly be engaged, and we need more engagement. I applaud your mission, as it is also my own…


Rob Clark

robclark200@gmail.com

http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/content/id/1076.html

http://rob.clark4.me/

No comments: